Get into the habit of working with html5 and css 3 as much and early as possible. Call it whatever you like "icing on the cake" or "a webpage on steriods", they will enhance the look and feel of your webpage tremendously
The following slideshow will show why they pack a punch
- Handcode as much as you can initially esp. if its actionscript 3.0, practice with plain notepad for html/ css
- Use Zencoding / Emmet ( even better ) code assist plugin/ packages to code real fast
- There is "no" substitute for getting trained from a Professional . Self learning, learning from youtube vidoes should be used to support your learnings only . Self learning is always slow paced and usually doesn't follow the right order of difficulty.
A Guru acts like the catalyst, hes been there done that, cornered and escaped, the real learning comes when you work practically. I have over the years not only taught but developed scores of websites for my clients . Its best to learn from someone whose knowledge is simply not bookish
- If its not easy for you to buy adobe suite/ dreamweaver / Than go for alternatives like Sublime text 3.0 for windows and Bluefish for Ubuntu..they are very handy open source alternatives to dreamweaver html/ css/ js editor
- CODEPEN is an online editor , I recommend everyone to work with it, it comes with options like reset rule, SASS , LESS and coding in a vendor prefix free environment
get smart and start working with Conditional comments for Older Internet Explorer versions ..conditional comments allow you to write css that target only IE or its specific versions, read more about it here ...CSS TRICKS..for example this is how you will
Target IE 8 and LOWER
<!--[if lt IE 9]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ie8-and-down.css" /> <![endif]-->
They are supported from IE 5 up until IE9 (inclusive).
get some Awesome pure css3 coded backgrounds at http://lea.verou.me/css3patterns/ watch my youtube video on how to do it here http://youtu.be/XDhsZwQqC84
The following is a slideshow explaining css 3 patterns best
- Start working with google fonts, rathen than plain vanilla regular fonts..its very easy to implement them ..Hundreds of free, open-source fonts optimized for the web. Just 3 quick steps between you and a good looking website..download and read more about google fonts here ....https://www.google.com/fonts
Understand more about using google fonts here http://youtu.be/DXBUch5Z5UI and custom fonts here ...
Some useful Links
1. Emmet Cheat Sheet..
2. Zen Coding extension or Plugin for various editors.
3. Recomended Open Source Editor "Sublime text 3"
4. Dreamweaver 30-day trial at File Hippo
5. Free Website Templates, Free Web Templates, Flash templates - Metamorphosis Web Design offers.
6. Tried and tested Free web hosting .
7. Free domain name registration service.
8. Pure Css 3 zoom-fade Image gallery
See the Pen Pure Css 3 zoom-fade Image gallery by Mohit Manuja (@mohitmanuja) on CodePen.
9. The best way to create an ordered list
See the Pen The best way to create an ordered list by Mohit Manuja (@mohitmanuja) on CodePen.
10. Pure Css stiched Look
See the Pen Pure Css stiched Look by Mohit Manuja (@mohitmanuja) on CodePen.
11. Rotating Social Icon Links
See the Pen zkxap by Mohit Manuja (@mohitmanuja) on CodePen.
I am all blurred . click here to see the code involved to create this blur text
13. and the folloiwng is a great slideshow explaining how inheritence works with css
- and finally here is a tool to check how your webpaage will look if it were robbed of css3 properties A bookmarklet for testing your graceful degradation...click here to use this tool
- So when are you going to start using svg images, when Internet Explorer supports it from version 9.0 ; why don't you ?.. here is the link to googles own svg editor